Is your heart racing at the thought of all the presents to buy, cookies to bake, packages to ship, programs to watch?
Before we race through this month, let’s stop. Take a deep breath. And think about the weeks ahead of us.
It is so easy to get wrapped up in giving our families and friends the “perfect” Christmas that we miss out on the best gift we can give them, our present and engaged self.
Not the self that is shopping for Christmas presents online while baking cookies and reading Christmas stories. Nor the one who is out searching for the perfect Christmas gift instead of enjoying your child’s one line in the Christmas program.
There are so many things wanting our attention this time of year. Many of them are good things, but some of them are empty promises that we think will make us happy but really leaves us feeling empty and missing out on true happiness.
So before I rush into this season, I am going to pause. In this moment I am choosing to be intentional about what is important for me and for my family this season and to focus not of the gifts I will buy or the cookies I will make but rather how we will show-up together this Christmas.
To help me keep my focus all season long, I’m making a Christmas Bucket List. It was so much fun making it! Will you join me in making your own list?
Hannah’s Christmas Bucket List
- Countdown Christmas – We have an advent calendar and in each pocket is a strip of paper with a story to read from “The Jesus Storybook Bible.” We started at the beginning and will read through the Old Testament to Jesus’ birth in the next month. I love it because each day our hearts are reminded of the most amazing gift, Jesus.
- Christmas Light Snuggles – There is something peaceful and magical about snuggling together on the couch and enjoying the lights of the tree.
- Cookie Baking Party – Instead of rushing through, I want us all to be involved from start to finish and to not worry about the absolute mess my kitchen will become.
- Sharing Cookies with our neighbors and friends - Better to share the cookie wealth with others!
- Christmas Music Dance Parties! – I don’t think I need to say anything else and notice this is plural…there will be multiple dance parties.
- Cross-Country Skiing – I started skiing with my family when I was young and have the best memories from it. I hope to do the same with my boys.
- Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows…often…just because it’s Christmas
- Neighborhood Christmas Light Tour - At least once a week because there are so many fun lights to see in the neighborhoods around us.
- Giving Gifts as a Family – Thinking about and buying, or even better, making gifts together rather than me doing it all.
- Calling my Grandma in Phoenix – We don’t do it enough and I know it would make us all happy.